October 19, 2008

Empanadas



Empanadas!!  Yumm.  So I don't know how to cook, at all, other than things like scrambled eggs and pancakes.  I really wanted some empanadas though, so I tried...it took me forever because I had no idea what I was doing.  I tried to cook a potato on the stove without any water in the pan!  And you get the idea...  They came out pretty good in the end though!  I used my mom's recipe for the pastry, but didn't follow the filling recipe because I don't like beef that much.  I used chicken instead!


Empanada Pastry:
3/4 cup milk
6 tables. oil
3/4 teas. salt
3 teas. baking powder
2  1/4 cups flour


Combine dry, add wet.  Add a bit more flour if too sticky.  Roll out on a floured surface to a medium-thin thickness and cut out with a medium-large circular cookie cutter onto a pan.  Fill one half of each circle with the filling and wet the edge, fold over and press to seal.  Press edge with a fork.  Bake at 530F for 15 minutes, until the bottoms are lightly browned.


My version of filling:
1 medium potato, cooked and diced
chicken, don't know how much, cooked and diced
1 garlic clove, minced and cooked in oil until lightly browned
salt and pepper
(I planned on adding cheese)


Now that I'm typing this, I have no idea why it took me so long to make the filling.  I guess because I've never cooked chicken and potatoes before....  They could have used more flavor, and I was going to add some cheese but I completely forgot to, and I didn't know what other spice to add.  But they were still really good.


In case anyone's wondering, here's the original filling recipe:
1 tables. oil
8 oz. minced steak
1 onion, chopped
1 small cooked potato, diced
salt
pepper
1/2 teas. paprika
1/4 cup broth
1 teas. flour


Heat oil and brown meat and onions.  Add diced potato, salt and pepper, and paprika.  Sprinkle flour and stir into mixture.  Add broth and cook for a minute.

No comments: