October 29, 2008

A Surprise Inside!

These look like regular oatmeal and chocolate chip cookies, right?  


...Until you eat them and find a banana slice inside!

The bananas really added to the cookies and made them interesting, although they don't keep for very long since the bananas start to turn black in 2-3 days.  The recipe, which I got from Clumsy Cookie, is only for chocolate chip cookies.  I really love peanut butter, chocolate, and bananas together so I added peanut butter to a half recipe of chocolate chip cookies, and I thought to try filling oatmeal cookies with the bananas also.  I'm not sure which one I liked better...maybe the oatmeal ones.  I would love some more chocolate-peanut butter cookies right now, though without bananas!

Banana-filled Chocolate Chip Cookies  (full recipe)
1 stick butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup moscavado sugar 
1 egg
1/4 cup crunchy cereal  (I used chex)
1/2 teas. baking powder
1/2 teas. baking soda
1/4 teas. salt
1/2 teas. vanilla extract
1  1/2 cups flour
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 banana
**peanut butter, maybe 1/3 or a 1/2 a cup?

Cream butter and sugars.  Add egg and vanilla, beat.  Add cereal, powder, soda, salt and flour.  Mix in chips and peanut butter.  Cut banana into slices 1/2 - inch thick.  Drop spoonfuls of dough on a cookie sheet, flatten slightly, and place a banana slice in the center.  Add more dough on top and gently enclose the banana with the dough.  Bake at 350F for 8-10 minutes.


Banana-filled Oatmeal Cookies
1 stick butter, softened
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1/2 teas. vanilla extract
3/4 cup flour
1/2 teas. baking soda
1/2 teas. cinnamon
1/4 teas. salt
1  1/2 cups oats
**1/2 cup walnuts
1 banana

Preheat oven to 350F.  Cream butter and sugars.  Add eggs and vanilla.  Add flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt.  Add oats and nuts.  Drop spoonfuls of dough on a cookie sheet, flatten slightly, and place a banana slice in the center.  Add more dough on top and gently enclose the banana with the dough.  Bake for 10-12 minutes.  Makes 2 dozen.

I halved both recipes so I only had about 24 cookies total. 

1 comment:

Clumbsy Cookie said...

Oh nice! Thanks so much for letting me know! They look great, I'm glad you liked them. I have to try them with oatmeal as well! Someone told me they made them with ob and that they we good too. Must try, must try!