February 18, 2009

Baked Oatmeal!

I don't think I'll be able to eat regular oatmeal after discovering baked oatmeal....it's that good.  You can throw it together pretty quickly, refrigerate it overnight, and pop it in the oven in the morning!  The original recipe didn't have any spices in it and was too sweet, so of course I altered it.  The one on the left has some cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves thrown in, along with chopped apples, and topped with vanilla yogurt, dried cranberries, and walnuts.  It tastes amazing.  On the right, I threw some cinnamon and chopped pecans in, and I made a banana sauce for it but neither the sauce or this version of the oatmeal tasted right.  It really needs the moisture of the yogurt on top, I think.  Plus the banana sauce looks a bit gross!


Amish Baked Oatmeal (my version) (Original recipe here)
1  1/2 cups quick cooking oats
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup milk (Revision: add just a teaspoon or so more)
1/4 cup melted butter (Revision: 1/4 cup + 1 T, a.k.a. 5 T)
1 egg
2 teas. vanilla
1 teas. baking powder
pinch of salt
1/2 teas. of cinnamon (or more to taste)
Splash of cloves
Splash of nutmeg


Combine oats and brown sugar.  Add the milk, melted butter, and egg and mix.  Add in the vanilla, baking powder, salt, and spices and combine.  Grease an 8 x 8 inch pan with melted butter residue and pour the batter evenly into pan.  Refrigerate overnight or bake in a preheated 350F oven for 25-30 minutes.  Cool and top with yogurt, fruit, and nuts!

2 comments:

Homely Homo said...

these look good :O
i want you to live at my house and cook for me.. make me baked oatmeal. entertain me with crafty things.

the dark stuff is banana sauce?

Beth said...

Haha I'd love to! Yes, it has molasses in it so it's really dark.