February 9, 2009

It's been awhile.

Well, it looks like I took a break from here...but I'm back now (hopefully).
About three weeks ago I made these banana bars from my Better Homes and Gardens cookbook, which I'd been meaning to make for years and never did until now.  The cake was very good, although a bit too sweet even after I reduced the sugar.  It's filled with chopped almonds and toffee bits, and topped with browned butter frosting!

Banana Bars
1/2 cup butter, softened
1  1/3 cups sugar (I used about a cup)
1  1/2 teas. baking powder
1/2 teas. baking soda
1/4 teas. salt
1 egg
1 cup mashed bananas (about 3 medium)
1/2 cup sour cream
1 teas. vanilla
2 cups flour
3/4 cup toffee pieces
3/4 cup toasted almonds, chopped

Lightly grease a 9 x 12 pan.  Cream butter.  Add sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  Beat in the egg, mashed bananas, sour cream, and vanilla.  Add flour.  Stir in toffee pieces and almonds and pour batter into pan, spreading evenly.  Bake in a preheated oven at 350F for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.  Cool on a wire rack completely before frosting.

Browned Butter Frosting
In a small saucepan over low heat, melt 1/3 cup butter.  Continue heating until it turns light brown.  Remove from heat and pour into a mixing bowl.  Add 2  1/2 cups powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon milk, and 1 teaspoon vanilla.  Beat until smooth, adding a few more drops of milk if necessary.

2 comments:

10itemsorless said...

I wonder if we have the same bhg book?? love ur recipies!! if ur interested check out my blog https://www.10-itemsorless.blogspot.com

Beth said...

Thanks! I have the BHG Homemade Cookies.
I love the concept for your blog!