May 9, 2009

Baking again.

There were good reviews for the chai cake, which I did make into cupcakes.  (Pictured on the left.)  I did like them even though they just tasted like vanilla cupcakes with a little extra something.  I was expecting them to taste more chai-like, so if I ever make them again I would increase the spice amount.  Instead of a cream cheese-based frosting I made a vanilla frosting with cinnamon and honey!  Recipe on Tender Crumb.
Pictured on the right are Sweet Carrot muffins, which I made for a bake sale.  They're so moist and delicious!


Sweet Carrot Muffins
2 cups flour
1  3/4 cups sugar

2 teas. cinnamon
2 teas. poppy seeds
1 teas. baking powder
1 teas. baking soda
1/2 teas. salt
4 large eggs

3/4 cup canola oil
1  1/2 teas. vanilla extract
3 cups shredded carrots
3/4 cup golden raisins/dried cranberries


Preheat oven to 350F.  Line two 12-cup muffin pans.  
Combine the flour, sugar, cinnamon, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  
Whisk together the eggs, oil and vanilla until slightly thickened.  Gradually stir the flour mixture into the egg mixture and beat just until smooth.  Fold in the carrots and raisins/dried cranberries until just combined.  Spoon into the muffin cups (about 3/4 full).  Bake 20-25 minutes, or until golden, dry, and springy to the touch.  Let cool on wire rack for 10 minutes and remove to cool fully.
**The recipe says it makes 14, but I get 24-30 out of it.
These are Mochaccino Biscotti Dunkers I made just a bit ago for Mother's Day.  Coffee doesn't go over too well with my taste buds, so I didn't try them.  But my mom will like them.  Hopefully. 
Recipe from Recipezaar.

1 comment:

lala said...

they are very moist and deeeelish! and i do love the chai cakes :)