May 3, 2009

Pie overload

I can never remember if my pie crust recipe makes one or two crusts.  Which is why I ended up with two pies after my dad requested a coconut cream pie!  The recipe was found online, but after I made it I realized I already had a coconut cream pie recipe in my Williams-Sonoma book.  Maybe it was a scatterbrained day, but no matter because both pies were pretty good. 
Coconut Cream Pie
Crust:
1  1/4 cups flour
1/4 + 1/8 teas. salt
1/4 cup + 1 tables. oil
1 tables. + 2  1/2 teas. cold water

Combine the flour, salt and oil in a food processor.  Add the cold water and pulse until it comes together, scraping bowl as needed.  Roll out to fit into a 9" pie pan.  Makes one crust.

Pie:  (found here)
1 cup sugar
2 tables. flour
2 eggs
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 cup milk
1 teas. vanilla
6 oz shredded coconut

Combine all and pour into pie shell.  Bake at 350F for 45 minutes until the custard is firm.

I added a little toasted coconut on top.

This one is an apple cranberry walnut pie, but I have no idea what the recipe would be because I just threw everything in there.  It was based on a recipe and then changed to me adding things.  It was really pretty before it was baked because the apple rounds covered the whole pie, but of course they shrunk in the oven.

1 comment:

lala said...

bleck coconut....but my guess is that if someone liked coconut, they would enjoy your pie