June 8, 2009

Chocolate Chocolate


I've been craving this recipe for the past week but I was trying not to bake anything (at least for a few days.)  In the time that I ignored my 'must bake now' thoughts, I sewed a doll; I think I'll have to try to ignore them more often.  But it's so hard.  
Anyway, these are double delight peanut butter cookies with a chocolate filling instead of peanut butter.  The cookie itself is the same dough as the original, so I have no idea why the texture was different than the two times I made the peanut butter in peanut butter ones.  They were still pretty good...mmm, peanut butter and chocolate are so good together.


Chocolate-Filled Double Delight Cookies (recipe found here)

1  1/3 cups flour
1/2 teas baking soda
3/4 teas salt 
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup brown sugar (I only fill it up ¾ of the way)
1/2 cup granulated sugar (I use a ¼ cup)
1 egg
1 teas vanilla extract
1/2 cup peanut butter


Filling:
1/2 cup peanut butter
2 T cocoa powder
3 T powdered sugar
3 T granulated sugar
2 T ground semi-sweet chocolate chips


Topping:
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teas cinnamon 


Combine the flour, baking soda and salt.  Cream the butter and both sugars.  Beat in egg, then vanilla and peanut butter.  Add in the flour mixture slowly.  Shape into a log 3” in diameter on parchment paper and chill until firm, about 2 hours.
Cream together filling ingredients.  Shape into 20 balls.  Cut the chilled dough log lengthwise in half, then make 10 even cuts to separate into 20 pieces.  Roll into balls and flatten.  Place one filling ball into each flattened dough ball, and gently cover the filling with the outer dough.  Smooth into a ball and sprinkle with topping.  Flatten gently with the back of a glass on pan.  Bake at 375F for 9-11 minutes.  Makes 20 cookies.



And this is dark chocolate pudding (I had a massive chocolate craving) with unbaked graham cracker crust and melted marshmallows on top.  So it's kind of like a s'more.  What's in that bowl, by the way, is way too much for one serving.  I ate it all and felt really gross, but it was worth it.  It's actually peanut butter chocolate pudding, but it wasn't chocolately enough for me so I added extra chocolate, which covered up all the peanut butter taste.


Peanut Butter Chocolate Pudding (from here)

1/4 cup sugar
3 large egg yolks
3 T cornstarch

4 T butter
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1  1/2 oz semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
1  1/2 oz dark chocolate, chopped
Pinch of salt
3 cups milk


In a small bowl, combine the sugar, egg yolks, and cornstarch.
Melt the butter and peanut butter in a saucepan over low heat, stirring until smooth.  Add chocolate and continue to cook and stir until the chocolate has melted.  Stir in milk  and increase heat to medium.  Continue cooking until bubbles begin to form around the edges, about 5 minutes.  Stir in a small amount of the egg mixture in small amounts.  Cook, stirring constantly, until it has thickened (about 1-3 minutes).  Remove from heat and divide into individual bowls (or one bowl), and chill, covered.


Graham Cracker Topping:
6 graham crackers
2 T butter, cut into pieces
1/8 cup sugar

Pulse graham crackers in food processor until no chunks remain.  Add in butter and sugar and combine.

6 comments:

lala said...

mm my goodness sounds delish!

Beth said...

Yum yum.

jessica said...

BETH!

this is jess w...laura showed me your blog today so we could look through and find a delicious recipe to make, and i ended up browsing through some of your other posts. everything you've created here is AMAZING! i especially like the little critters you've sewn...laura's shown me some of them in person before, and i'm always impressed.

i especially love the peacock...i'd definitely buy one but i don't have $150 or want to hurt your hands again. haha. but know that i think it was awesome! you'll have to let me know if there's ever a smaller version or something.

hope your summer's going well. :]

Beth said...

Thanks!!
I was actually thinking of making a smaller peacock....so I just might have to now :]
What did you end up baking?

jessica said...

we made the recipe right on this post, and it was so delicious. even better--nobody in my whole family likes peanut butter, so i get my share of the cookies all to myself! mwahaha!
you'll definitely have to let me know if you finish the peacock, i want to see!

Beth said...

Om nom nom nom :]