August 16, 2009

Why do you do this to me, ginger sparklers?

I am quite possibly going insane.
That cookie picture is from when I first made ginger sparklers two years ago. The first and only time they came out right! The second and third time they came out of the oven completely flat despite the 2 teaspoons of baking soda in them. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong (other than eating too much of the dough?) but at least they still taste fine. Well, more than fine.
But the other day when I made these, they not only baked flat, but I creamed the butter with granulated sugar instead of brown. I knew what sugar I was supposed to be using for a spice cookie, but I absentmindedly grabbed the wrong one. Now I have a bowl of creamed butter and sugar in the refrigerator that I have to find a use for. Then right before I popped them in the oven, I remembered I was supposed to roll them in sugar! I sprinkled a bit of raw sugar on top of them to make up for it. Ginger sparklers: a bit abnormal, but delicious.

Ginger Sparklers
2 cups flour
2 teas. baking soda
1/2 teas. salt
1/2 teas. cinnamon
1 teas. ginger
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup molasses
1 egg
Sugar for rolling

Preheat oven to 375F. Combine flour, baking soda, salt and spices. Cream butter, brown sugar, molasses and egg. Mix in dry. Make 1" balls and roll in sugar. Bake for 8 minutes.

2 comments:

lala said...

id like to have a try of one?
plz?

Beth said...

They're gone already! I can make some more at your request if you wish.