September 8, 2009

Oh my.

I had my eye on these delicious looking sweet peach streusel muffins for a while, and a few days ago I finally made them. Mine didn't come out pretty. They didn't even bake! I checked them for browning and toothpick-checked them, and they looked done. Until I broke one open and saw that the whole lower half of them were mushy. Sure, I could have just cut off the tops and eaten them, but they were pretty bland despite the cinnamon in them. Yes, very disappointing.


But..... last night I made this amazing yogurt cake! I'm pretty sure it's the best cake I have ever made or eaten.

Mmm. The cake is so soft from the vanilla yogurt, and is spread with a thin layer of honey-vanilla frosting, and finally topped with a berry sauce. It is so good.
It's pretty easy to make, but not quick. I had to heat my berries until they defrosted, then wait for them to cook down, (which was taking too long so I threw them in the food processor) and then run them through a sieve to get all the seeds out.
Recipe here, but my version is below.

Vanilla Yogurt Cake with Berry Sauce
3 cups cake flour (substitution: 3 cups all-purpose flour minus 6 tables.)
2 teas. baking powder
1 teas. baking soda
1/2 teas. salt
2 sticks butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 teas. vanilla extract
3 eggs, warmed in shell in warm water 10 minutes
2 cups vanilla yogurt, room temperature


Sauce:
5 cups berries (I used frozen strawberries, blueberries, blackberries & raspberries)
2/3 cup sugar
1/8 teas. salt


Icing:
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 tables. honey
Drop of milk
1/8 teas. vanilla extract


Preheat oven 350F. Oil and line a 9 x 13" pan with parchment paper, oil over the paper and flour it.
Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
Cream together the butter, sugar, and vanilla. Beat in eggs one a time. Mix in flour in three batches alternating with the yogurt, starting and ending with the flour. Mix just until combined. Bake for 35-45 minutes.


While the cake is baking, make the sauce.  Combine all sauce ingredients into a saucepan on medium heat, and stir until juicy, about 15 minutes.  Simmer, stirring occasionally, until fruit breaks down, about 8 minutes.  Pour through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl, discard solids (or eat, like I did).  Let cool.
Alternative method: Defrost berries if frozen, then grind in food processor until smooth.  Pour into saucepan and heat with sugar and salt until the sugar dissolves.  Pour through a sieve and into a bowl, discard seeds.  Let cool.
This method wastes less of the berry!


Icing: Beat together all ingredients until smooth.
Evenly frost the cake and let the icing set (at least 15 minutes).  Cut cake into squares and spoon a bit of sauce on.

6 comments:

steph- whisk/spoon said...

oh, this cake was so good! i love your take on it!

Beth said...

Thanks :]

Kpax said...

Holy DAAAAAANG, that looks delicious.

Beth said...

Oh, hello!
It was.

lala said...

my favorite part is the honey-vanilla frosting. cant beat homemade frosting

Beth said...

Also there's no artificial stuff (and who knows what else) in homemade frosting!