January 15, 2010

A busy day for my kitchen.

This morning's breakfast: banana-oatmeal pancakes with pecans & chocolate chips!  I was about to tell you how amazing these are, when I realized I had already posted them...almost a year & a half ago.  (How has it been that long since I've made these??)  But anyway, they're still as good as ever.  Whipped cream adds much pleasure.

And for dinner I made some homemade pasta!  I don't have a pasta machine, and it's kind of a pain to make.  Although, all a pasta machine does is slice the pasta....the annoying part still has to be done by hand.  
Basically you take some flour, mix some eggs in there with your hands and attempt to get it all to stick together, and knead it.  Refrigerate, roll out until it's almost see-through when you hold it up (but you will never get to this stage because it's pretty much impossible, and you start sweating like a pig), and slice.  I made pasta in a cooking program at the Art Institute a few years ago, and as I remember, it was much easier to roll out.  And I'm pretty sure the light came through it when I held it up....  When I cooked my pasta tonight, it puffed up to three times it's original thickness and was still a bit al dente-ish in the middle.  I made some Alfredo sauce for it, and sprinkled on some basil....yum.

3 comments:

lala said...

'attempt to get it to stick together"

meg said...

you're like my grammy! (hand making noodles!)

Beth said...

That noodle dough is quite stubborn.

I must be a granny in a youngster's body....