February 7, 2010

Stupid automated systems.

A sudden craving for apple pie yesterday created this:
I've always made oil pie crusts which turn out dry and blah, and usually burn in the oven.  So crusts made with shortening are a revelation!  The crust was so good it made me want to roll out another recipe, stamp out some circles and sprinkle some cinnamon sugar on top, and call them pie crust cookies!  Bad for you, yes.  But I still want to do it.  Shortening not only makes a delicious crust, it also cuts in 10 times easier and faster than butter, and rolls outs so well (which is a definite plus, because those oil crusts were giving me so much trouble when I tried to roll them out - many times I ended up just throwing the dough in the pan and attempting to piece it together with my fingers).  
I stamped out some pretty leaves with the excess dough!
Breakfast this morning:
Freezer waffles topped with sliced bananas, vanilla yogurt, granola (really just cereal tarts, but not baked in the tart pans), and honey.  I've been eating that granola for breakfast almost every day for a week or two now.  It's so delicious.
Note: I had to put the word verification back on for the comments....annoying, I know, but I've been getting spammed.

2 comments:

lala said...

awww i love the leaves :)

Beth said...

They were tasty, tasty leaves.