March 8, 2010

Apple brownies and a sad fruit.

My sister-in-law had an Oscar night gathering yesterday, and I brought some Apple Brownies!  I first made them two years ago, and then a second time shortly after the first.  But I had completely forgotten about them because I didn't have a picture of them.  (Well I did...it was taken for my graduation project cookbook, back when all of my photos were horrible.  So I didn't have a current, better-ish picture for my updated cookbook.)
This was a really rushed picture, taken at about 12:30 AM once I was home from the Oscar night.  Oh, and the voting?  I got 7 right, which put me in second to last place out of 6 people!  This was my first Oscar-watching, so...I tried!
But really...Sandra Bullock, best actress?  Eh, no.

Apple Brownies
1/2 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
2 apples, peeled, cored & chopped
1/2 cup chopped pecans/walnuts
1 cup flour
1/2 teas baking soda
1/2 teas baking powder
1/2 teas cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350F.  Cream butter and sugar, then beat in egg.  Mix in apples and pecans.  Mix in dry ingredients, and pour into an oiled 8 x 8 in pan.  (I grease the sides and bottom, line the bottom, and grease over that.  I've had issues with it.)  Bake for 40 minutes.


We picked up an Ugli fruit at Wegmans because it intrigued me so.  I love how they look, but they taste was just eh for me.  Makes sense, I suppose, since I don't like grapefuit and Ugli fruit is part grapefruit!  They came about from an accidental cross between a grapefuit, and orange, and a tangerine.  
Basically it tasted like a milder, sour orange.

5 comments:

lala said...

uggg stop tempting me!

also, i read it as "ugly" fruit. which it is

Beth said...

Sorry :]
You could always give in and be a chubster like me!
Well yes, it's pronounced 'ugly'.

lala said...

aha! ironic?

meg said...

too bad you're not a chubster to begin with !!
i love that little fruit, i find him charming

Beth said...

I am at the moment :/
He's a cutie. I wish I put actual eyes on him....like actually taped to the fruit.